Saturday, March 27, 2004

Blame the Larium

Ah the first blog entry from Senegal. Tell the masses.
I'm sort of homesick today and I'm thinking it's a combination of Larium, PMS and the host family. Host family is fab, but SO DIFFERENT than any host family I've ever head. They have a pet goat though - attention KT Sparks! But it's tethered to a tree, so I'm scared he may be food soon. I don't think I'll make friends with him because I don't eat my friends.
The following will be my random observations about Senegal. The people in the villages are genuinely happy, so why am I here? To point out what they don't have and why their lives aren't up to par by Western standards, which will make them unhappy?
Speaking of Western Standards, I could sure go for some cheese, a shower not in the form of a bucket bath, and a Cosmopolitan, but not in that order. They have cheese in Dakar, but I think it's out of the PCV price range. But the rumor is they have Laughing Cow at the Super Marche here. The beer is Flag. It's cool sometimes, but definitely not cold.
Breasts are everywhere in the villages and even some places in my current metropolis of Thies (pronounced Chezz). They aren't considered a sex object here and it's no wonder - they look like gigantic raisins flattened by a steam roller. Moral of the story - don't have 10 kids, breast feed them all and always wear a bra!
But holy heck - the knees!!! Now if you show your knees at all, that means you are looking for some loving!!! Knees are scandalous - unless you want rumors of you working a la Pretty Woman style, keep them covered.
My host family's kids listen to american hip hop and watch Brazilian soap operas dubbed in French. That's proved interesting in their perception of America and Brazil. The women do ALL the house work. It's a little depressing that they usually don't aspire to be more than a housewife. Only the boys usually go to university, unless you family is from Dakar.
We westerners really like our "stuff". I brought more stuff than my host family has in their sort of large house. There is nothing on the walls. They have some chairs. A TV. A phone. And beds. With springy matresses and lumpy pillows.
It's amazing how much the laugh. They live communally. No one can really save money for themselves because they are expected to give any extra money to their family. They are more altruistic than I am(but that's not very difficult).
Training is dull as dishwater. I'm ready to get to my village so I can have some freedom. Pulaar and french combo really hurt my brain. The babies are adorable. But there are so many kids!!! Good gawd.
I showed my host dad his NC Book and he called the Civil War the "War of Succession"!!! He's an honorary southerner in my book!
Ok, I need to run so my host family doesn't call out the national guard. I'm running late.

ps-stomache and intestines are still happy. :-D

www.au-senegal.com
www.u2.com
www.csmonitor.com
www.megwood.com