Monday, June 12, 2006

"Vacation's all I ever wanted...." - the Go-Go's

Vacation and the World Cup. How much better can this week get? According to the Weather Channel, plenty of thunderstorms will greet us in the DR, after all it is the hurricane season. No worries though. As long as the UV index and the winds are high, everything will be fabulous. I have visions of N and I swimming in crystal clear water... venturing to the swim up bar...immersing toes in white sand beaches...windsurfing...snorkeling...

Four years ago, I had the absolute pleasure of being in Brasil during the World Cup. Mind you, the World Cup was in Korea, but you would think that with frenzy surrounding it, the event was in Brasil. Time literally stood still during the Copa. I stood with a group of 20 people huddled around a tiny black and white TV in front of one of many caipirinha kiosks that dot the Copacabana and Ipanema. Every time Brasil would score a goal, fireworks would go off all over the city. Every city was like this during every game until the final. After Brasil won, the country swooped into an early morning alcoholic frenzy. My roommates could have cared less, but their boyfriends sure did enjoy the fun. It is easy to get caught up in the frenzy of Brasilian soccer. I'm still caught up. U.S. lost to the Czech Republic today. No big deal to me. But come tomorrow at 3:00pm when Brasil plays Croatia, my eyes will be glued to fifaworldcup.yahoo.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home