Wednesday, January 18, 2006

The kindness of Starbucks employees

There are many Starbucks naysayers out there. I am not one of them. I only buy a $4.00 cup of coffee one season a year (December - gingerbread lattes). I don't get half-caf half-soy double shot latte with two pumps of sugar free vanilla. I get a tall (smallest size) bold coffee of the day to take of my bus ride. It is one of the few pleasures I get out of my life in the morning. Hot caffeine helps me deal with the fact that I loath the bus.

My neighborhood Starbucks robot - I mean barrista - goes through the same motions every morning. This morning, something different happened that changed the way I perceive the Starbucks barrista. As I entered Starbucks, there was a light drizzle outside. As I ordered my drink, the drizzle quickly turned into a monsoon. The barrista must have seen the look of panic on my face (the impending doom of being drenched at the bus stop must have caused quite the face contortion) and asked "Is everything ok?". I asked if there were any lost umbrellas anywhere behind the counter. She said "No, but hold on." And without hesitation, she walked to the back room and returned with her PERSONAL UMBRELLA!!!! I thanked her profuse and promised to return the umbrella to her the very next day, which I intend on doing tomorrow morning.

That was the one light at the beginning of my day. The rest of the day was quite sub-par, and just down right moronic at times. But even when my place of work seems to disregard me (they don't usually - it just felt like it today), at least I know Starbucks cares! Funny thing is, I am paying Starbucks and work is paying me....

1 Comments:

At 7:25 pm, Blogger Jaime said...

nice to know there are some nice people left in the world...in Japan there are umbrellas left outside stores all the time...maybe it's the honor system, maybe it's if you need a loan...maybe they are all clear and who would really know the difference???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home