Monday, May 03, 2004

ET PHONE HOME

Ok, So ET means early termination in Peace Corps lingo, which is what I am in the process of doing right now. Amanda B, give my car back. HAHA, kidding. Now, here is the quiz:
Am I ETing because:
a.) If I am called toubab one more time I may go postal
b.) If I am asked if I have a husband one more time I may go postal
c.) I ran out of my ground starbucks coffee and have to resort to the only coffee sold in the developing world: Nescafe
or
d.) none of the above, seek better answer
The answer is D.
That's right. I'm coming home. I think I'll be home Thursday morning because my flight leaves on Wednesday night (not sure of the flight info mom, but I'll call you using the handy dandy calling card from Harris Teeter cuz I sold the cell phone).
Ok, to clear some stuff: first and foremost, I LOVE SENEGAL. LOVE LOVE LOVE SENEGAL. sure, some things were annoying, but that was to be expected. Second I LOVE LOVE LOVE the friends I made in training (stage). They are truely amazing and I plan to hold true to my promise of visiting Senegal and Cape Verde for Carnivale in February (because I love them - My peeps Heather and Kath will be getting some cool stuff very soon). I love love love my host family and sobbed buckets when I told them I was leaving. My language teacher cried when I told him I was leaving, which is unheard of in this culture. Neither men nor women cry.
Now why am I leaving you ask? Well, my friends in development might be able to guess. My policies related to development do not really coincide with peace corps. I won't delve into too much here, but man. I dispassionately disagree with their approaches to health related development in senegal and if you really want to hear why and how, call me. Most of the volunteers told me there is alot of sitting around for 2 years. one even said "peace corps was great, i learned how to sit on my arse for two years." fabulous. y'all know how well i do just sitting on my arse - not very.
a plus with the PC is that they do have awesome language training. i can speak conversational pulaar and french now thanks to PC. here's a sentence: maa a mi yah amerik alkamesa, kono mi anda hande, ina wawwii wande waktujii sappo cappanti tatti. translation - i will go to the US on wednesday, but i don't know when, it's possible i'll leave at 10:30.
so now when i return the fast and furious job hunt is on. i won't take just anything, but almost. and HOPEFULLY it will be in DC.
big props to my twin brother GEORGE (TANJA) who got into the london school of economics!!!! heck yeah! some more people to visit around the world.
i get to go to weddings now! loads of them! 7 or 8 over the next 1.5 years or so.
BIG HECK YEAH TO THE FACT THAT I GET TO SEE HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN!!!!
Ok, that's all for now. I may keep the blog up, but I won't send mass e-mails about it because my life in the states won't be that cool.
kisses.
ps-when i return to the states i'll be without car and cell phone. indefinitely, which is fine by me.
www.au-senegal.com
www.u2.com
www.csmonitor.com
www.megwood.com