What's your holiday poison?
The most evil of all holiday drinks has arrived. Not eggnog (although the fat content in real eggnog = drinking a heart attack). Not mulled wine (which actually would counteract the eggnog with all those antioxidants). It is the Gingerbread Latte from Starbucks. After a weekend of recovering from budget hell, I decided to treat myself to Starbucks this morning. Mom had sent a free drink cupon my way as a pick me up. Monday is the only day I could use such a device. I walked into my Starbucks off Wisconsin (across from the new Dior store, in front of which I have only salivated, never entered) and had to immediately fight the urge to be filled with Christmas spirit on November 14. Charlie Brown Christmas was playing. Red, White and Silver decorations threw up all over the store. And there, advertised before me, the trifecta of holiday drinks: the Eggnog Latte, the Peppermint Mocha and the coveted Gingerbread Latte. Starbucks' devious plan to make consumers spend even MORE money during the holiday season works on me like a charm. And I make no bones about it. Usually I try to be a good consumer. But since the advent of the gingerbread latte, my ability to discern normal coffee consumption from extravagant has waned. Oh well. It is only one time a year. For two months of the year. Which is only 17% of the year. And I don't drink it every day. And if I did, would that be so wrong?
Oh holiday spending guilt. Let the Christmas season begin! :-)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home