Thursday, June 24, 2004

"We would have injected vitamin C if only they had made it illegal."

Yesterday, I set out to watch a classical masterpiece. An epic love story that tugs the heart strings. I was sidetracked to say the least. By the time 11pm rolled around, I had no intention of watching a 3 hour love story. I was going to procrastinate (as always), UNTIL... I turned to channel 191 and VOILA!!! A little slice of digital cable heaven. The Independent Film Channel! Did you know that movies on IFC are completely uncensored and commercial free? I watched the end of Pulp "I'm going to get Medival on your ass" Fiction and then proceeded to watch one of my other favorite films of the 1990s, Trainspotting. Ewan McGregor (the mention of his name has me speechless), loads of Scottish accents and drug addicts! All three are concepts that usually make up great movies!
Why am I revisiting Trainspotting? Like someone addicted to heroin, I am addicted to witty dialogue and Ewan McGregor. Trainspotting is a story about Mark Renton (vegetarian protagonist, also herion addict), Sick Boy (hot heroin addict friend), Begbie (alcoholic with napoleon complex but not with heroin addiction), Spud (never-hurt-a-fly heroin addict), and Tommy (athelete turned heroin addict). It boils down to young Scottish blokes struggling with addiction.
Like I said before, the plot isn't the main attraction to this movie. It's the dialogue. For example, right before Begbie accidently bags a gender illusionist, Renton says "In a thousand years, there will be no men and women, just wankers. And that's fine by me." You could use that in an argument for gay marriage. And then there is an answer anyone can use in a job interview (Spud's answer in his job interview as to why he is interested in the job): "In a word: pleasure. It's like my pleasure and other people's liesure." And then finally, what should you say to someone who is about to get into a debate about gender inequality: "That wee lassie got glassed, and no c---t leaves till I find out what c---t did it."
Of course I highly recommend this new classic, but the question is, who should watch it, if it's a date movie and what you should eat while watching it. You should watch it if you love witty dialogue. If you are in the mood for a sweet love story that gives you a warm fuzzy feeling all over, do not watch Trainspotting.
This would be the type of date movie to watch if you have been together longer than heroin addicts stay off junk. If you spring this movie on the other person too soon, they may think you are a freak.
While watching this movie, one should consume beer. That's all you need, beer. It's Scottish, so if you don't drink beer while you watch it, you'll crave one afterward (luckily it does not leave one craving heroin). No haggis. That's all I have to say about that.
I've realized I cannot pre-plan the movies that inspire me to write a review. So no more of this pre-planning scheme. It will be based on pure inspiration.
www.au-senegal.com
www.u2.com
www.csmonitor.com
www.megwood.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home