Watching 50 First Dates for the first time...Again...what?
I'm different from professional movie critics for a few reasons. First, I'm obviously offering my services free of charge. Second, I do not write for a major newspaper (although my letter to the editor was published in the Charlotte Observer today - YAY!), or any newspaper for that matter. Third, I LOVE Adam Sandler movies (except Little Nicki really sucked, but that is one out of, what, 8 or 9?). I mean I really really LOVE his movies. When I realized that 50 First Dates came out on DVD today, I had to forego watching Lost In Translation for the fourth time to see 50 First Dates for the first time. Or did I watch it the first time yesterday? Or the day before? Will I watch it for the first time tomorrow? Eh hem. On to the review.
For those of you who don't know, 50 First Dates is about a man named Harry (Adam Sandler) and his love trials and tribulations with Lucy (super adorable Drew Barrymore). The problem is Lucy has had short term memory loss for the past year. She was in a terrible car accident. So similar, but different, to Groundhog's Day. In G-Day, Bill Murray (there he is again, damn, what a hottie!), is concious that he is re-living the same day over and over again, while the rest of the world is not. In 50 First Dates, Drew Barrymore is unaware that she is re-living the same day, over and over again, while everyone else is fully concious of that fact.
I don't want to go too much into the plot for two reasons: 1. There isn't a major brain strain with this plot and 2. I don't want to give away the ending (which is not as Hollywood as you might think...well at least not as Hollywood as Win A Date With Tad Hamilton). But this is a definite date movie. You and your S.O. will both enjoy the film (unless you are an intellectual movie snob who only watches foreign and/or indie films). Your average guy will enjoy the Adam Sandler smart arse quips (along with some slapstick thanks to Rob Schneider). All the average women and gay men will love the unique love story and the adorable Drew Barrymore. I'm already smitten with both Adam and Drew, so I was sold with the DVD case. Oh yeah, and there are marine mammals involved (get your mind out of the gutter! not in that way!!!). Adam just happens to be a marine life veterinarian and the movie takes place in Hawaii.
So anyway, 50 First Dates is another movie worthy of the Netflix queue. It takes awhile to speed up, but I laughed out loud twice during the film (I was watching it alone - a big deal to laugh alone) and shed a few tears of "how adorable!" at the end.
What can I say? I'm the only film critic who loves Adam Sandler...And after the atrocious, abysmal, awful Charlie's Angels 2, I may be the only one who loves Drew Barrymore.
I'm not sure what the next film will be...I'll pick something that I may not like, but force myself to watch. Maybe a Western?
www.au-senegal.com
www.u2.com
www.csmonitor.com
www.megwood.com

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home