Girl-children in India
Yesterday, I was fortunate enough to visit an NGO we work with in Delhi. They are doing some incredible things for orphans and vulnerable children. They find children who were abandoned or trafficked or are child sex workers or were raped/molested and bring them in from the street/brothel/abusive home. They provide psycho-social support, nutrition, schooling and healthcare for them.
At this organization I met two little girls (I have my photo with them, but because I forgot my USB chord it won't be uploaded until later). Both parents of one of the girls are in jail. The other girl and her sister were found abandoned by railroad tracks. These are far from isolated incidences. Everywhere you look, there are street children. Literally everywhere. People live on the sidewalk here. It is quite dangerous to be born an impoverished girl in India - whether the risk is infanticide or to have a price put on your life so that you can be sold into a life of slavery or prostitution.
By the way, the Government of India is having some issues with certain blogs (read: censoship), but I think it is affecting all blogs because I can't access any of them, including my own! But I can write in mine.... So the posts will continue.

2 Comments:
How sad...sounds like the movie/documentary Born into Brothels.
By the way, next time you are in Asia-ish...let me know ahead of time and maybe we can plan to meet. This is my summer vacation now and I am sitting on my arse doing nothing but sweating for the next 4 weeks...aside from a short visit with my sister that is.
That's so unfortunate considering there are so many people who are desperate to adopt a child here in the USA, but forced to jump through countless bull#$%@ hoops to get a baby/child. And they make it so hard to adopt internationally!!!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home