Friday, June 30, 2006

Why I love this country on 4th of July: A SCOTUS Backfire

I go through periods of mourning with this country. The US has a president who acts without regard to a system of checks and balances set up by the same founding fathers he loves to falsely identify with when it behooves him (Them there founding fathers didn't want gays to marry! They wanted the constitution to be used as a tool to take rights away!). Finally, however, he has no choice but to respect and honor this glorious system of checks and balances. Bush loaded the Supreme Court with two of his right wing party people (whoomp, there it is!) and now it has backfired. Yesterday, the Supreme Court ruled that Guantanamo detainees could not be tried by a secret U.S. military tribunal because the way in which they have been detained did not follow due process or any international treaties of which this country is a part. The decision was almost split by party line. 5 to 3. Why not 5 to 4? Georgie Porgie's ass master of a Chief Justice, John Roberts, was ineligible to preside since he already presided over the same case in a lower level court. How's that for Karma? John Robert's decision wouldn't have made a difference anyway because Kennedy inexplicably switched teams (which one would expect of Roberts... he did sing show tunes in college.....).

How I love this country. How I love checks and balances. "Freedom isn't free" is not some lame-ass slogan you can hide behind much longer. Some things that don't jibe with freedom: illegal, warrantless wiretaps; warrantless detainment ("Don't I get my Miranda Rights?" "NO!"); taking freedoms away from the voting age public (LGBT people over the age of 18); keeping a lower and middle class America down by promising tax breaks to your millionaire donors; and the list keeps going....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home