Post-Thanksgiving 2005 and Martha Stewart is an idiot.
Gurgle...gurgle...gurgle...that is the sound of my bi-polar tummy. It cannot decide whether it should be happy that it is filled with so much good food, or if it should be ill because it is filled with so much good food.

Two friends joined me for Thanksgiving this year. Everything on the menu went off without a hitch (especially the turkey!) EXCEPT the damn Martha Stewart twice baked sweet potatoes. My first problem is probably that I bought yams instead of a sweet potatoes (I'm from the state that produces more yams than any other state in the country - I can't buy a sweet potatoe). Anyways, I tried to gingerly scoop the yam meat out of the skin. It split down the center. Plus, they were burning my fingers. It was NOT as easy as Martha Stewart and Katie Couric made it look on the today show. Instead, I decided to creat a variation on the popular candied yam dish. I whiped the yams with some sour cream, brown sugar, butter, nutmeg, salt, pepper and vanilla. I baked it. I then toasted some pecans and spread them evenly across the top of the whipped yams. I then spread a thin layer of brown sugar on the top, followed by some marshmallows, put the oven on broil, stuck the dish in for 7 minutes and VOILA. An amazing dish emerged.

This year, each of us were thankful for the fact that we have amazing jobs that allow us to put amazing food on a table in an abode, for which we are able to pay. We were toasty in my apartment as we sipped warm, mulled wine. Chatted. Gossiped. Laughed. Meanwhile, the angry wind blew outside and the temperature was easily below freezing. We remained content with our full bellies, slowly becoming drowsy due to the welcomed side effects of the turkey.
Loving family and friends...the person who taught me so much about myself this year...the job that is fulfilling... watching the baby panda on the panda cam... laughing until it hurts.... all of the things for which I am thankful this year.

1 Comments:
Yes, that is a bundt pan that the mashed potatoes are in - I didn't have any more oven safe devices in which to warm them! :)
Post a Comment
<< Home